As many of my clients know, I have a beautiful pack of 5 dogs – all of them absolutely LOVE treats! My Great Pyrenees is a good boy, but my Golden Retrievers are super greedy and will eat ANYTHING in sight! Now my Border Collie has recently taken to jumping over the child gate to munch on the cat food too! So, I thought it might be wise to whip up some extra tasty, homemade dog treats, so they’re satisfied between meal times. Enter, the Cheshire Paws version of Bacon and Peanut Butter Pupcakes!
If you are looking for a way to get your dog to behave, I can assure you, once they lock their eyes of one of these delicious peanut butter and bacon cupcakes, they’ll listen to your every word!
Just to clarify, these aren’t dog themed cakes for humans, they’re cupcakes for dogs! In moderation, human ingredients won’t harm your dog, and in fact, can have a positive effect on your pup’s digestion!
Packed full of (mostly) healthy ingredients, like banana and rolled oats, and piled high with dog friendly soft cheese topping, these dog cupcakes will have your furry friends drooling!
I have to give credit to the wonderful Jane, from Jane’s Patisserie, for the recipe. I used her “Easy Pupcake” recipe as a base, and made some of my own adaptations. Easy Pupcakes! – Jane’s Patisserie
I added chopped bacon to the mix and little treats to decorate, including dried bacon, Pedigree Tasty Mini’s, and Pedigree Rodeo Twists. I also mixed the cream cheese topping with some cottage cheese for a little more protein!
As Jane mentions in her post and most of us dog owners know, the peanut butter in the recipe should be natural peanut butter, containing NO XYLITOL. Xylitol is incredibly harmful to our furry friends, so your pupcakes need to be made with peanut butter consisting of 100% peanuts. It’s slightly more expensive, but delicious with banana for us humans too! I used the Whole Earth brand for my doggy cupcakes!
I stored the bacon and peanut butter pupcakes in the fridge, but to be honest, with 5 dogs they were gone in a day! They’d be good in the fridge for 3-5 days, and can be frozen too!
Peanut Butter and Bacon Pupcake recipe
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 150g Peanut Butter (containing no Xylitol)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 75g Honey
- 100g Wholemeal Flour
- 75g Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 125ml Water or Goat’s milk
- Handful Chopped Dried Bacon Bits
- 8 tbsp cream cheese
- 8 tbsp cottage cheese
- Bag of Dog Treats of Your Choice
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and get 12 cupcake cases ready
- Add your banana to a bowl and mash using a mixer or fork.
- Add in the peanut butter, eggs, and honey and mix together till combined.
- Add in the flour, oats and baking powder and mix till combined – it will be quite thick.
- Add in the water/milk a little at a time until all mixed in!
- Fold in the bacon bits carefully.
- Split evenly between the cases, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until slightly browned on top.
- Leave the pupcakes to cool fully. You can remove the cakes from the cases to make sure your furry friends don’t accidentally eat them, or keep them in the cases to maintain freshness – but remember to remove the case when giving a cake to your pup!
- Mix together the cream cheese and cottage cheese.
- Spread or pipe the cheese mixture on the pupcakes, and decorate with your tasty nibbles!